All meals and lodging are offered through the generosity of the BSNO for the entire retreat. Separate accommodations are provided for monks (bhikkhus), nuns (thilashins) and lay men and lay women. Rooms are assigned through MSY upon arrival. Yogis will receive modest, private rooms with private wash rooms, including showers and flush toilets; with screened windows, a bed, thin mattress, bedding, pillow, chair, and a mosquito net.
Yogis should provide themselves with daily personal requisites, such as toiletries, towels, vitamins and mineral supplements and medicines. You will want to bring your own sitting meditation cushion. Large thin floor cushions are provided along with chairs in the meditation hall, if needed.
The BSNO of the Mahasi Sasana Yeiktha offers all participating yogis in the Retreat dana (donation) of meals, lodging and medicines during their stay at the Center. The teaching’s themselves are offered freely and unconditionally. Minimal fees will be collected by BSF to offset basic production costs of the Retreat: such as, office, staff stipends, and
travel expenses, publicist and media out-reach, web development, film production and post-production expenses,and other essential elements of both retreats.
Four-tiered retreat pricing: BSF is committed to offering the opportunity to practice as freely as possible. Our fee structure is based solely upon the cost to produce the Retreat. BSF will help support the costs of a small number of yogis with strong intentions to practice but who may be limited by financial constraints. Please consider supporting others with fewer financial resources.
Recommended contribution if you plan to attend the retreat
- [$495 Supporter] (support other yogis as well as yourself).
- [$425 Sustainer] (covers your costs).
- [$345 Community] (discounted fee).
- [$ You choose] (for yogis with scarce financial resources but strong samvega – spiritual urgency).
- To register for one of the retreats, please fill out our online questionnaire.
- Applications will be reviewed within 3 to 4 days, with confirmation by email.
- After reviewing your application, a brief follow up (will likely) be made by phone or skype conversation. Please include your preferred method and dates/times of contact.
- Fees are accepted online upon approval of your application and not before.
- There are no refunds of contributions offered to create these retreats.
If further questions, please contact us, and someone will get back to you directly.
Dana at MSY: Dana, or generosity, is the foundation of Buddhist practice. It cultivates the mental condition of letting go, or non-grasping and conditions the Four Sublime States or attitudes of loving-kindness, compassion, sympathetic joy and equanimity. Burmese Buddhists often note three kinds of giving: “beggarly giving”— meaning to give away something that has no value to you (but is still beneficial because it has value to another), “friendly giving”— meaning to give what you like and what you can afford in an across and friendly way, and “kingly giving”—meaning to give something that is difficult to give or requires some kind of hardship in letting go. All of these are part and parcel of daily practice for the majority of Buddhists in Myanmar.
If you are attending the retreat, choose a contribution amount below.
$ You choose
Thank you for your generous support of this special retreat.
At MSY lay supporters offer yogis their daily meals in recognition of the great benefits of dana directed toward an especially meritorious field of practitioners striving to realize the truth of dhamma (the highest freedom). If you would like to offer dana to cover the costs of a meal for the practicing yogis at MSY during your stay at the Center arrangements can be made in advance of the retreat date. MSY’s meal dana schedule fills up very quickly. If you are thinking to offer a meal, please contact us so that we can make arrangements on your behalf to offer dana on a day of your preference.
- During January and February there are on average 400 yogis practicing at MSY.
- Breakfast dana is approximately $600 US, lunch $1500 US, and both $2100 US.
Looking forward to seeing you at this special retreat.